THE MANIFESTO IS MUTATING! IT IS TURNING INTO A WIKI THAT CAN BECOME THE HIVE MIND OF ALL COSTUMERS, FINALLY LIVING UP TO IT'S SLOGAN: "COSTUMERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!" YOU CAN HELP IN THIS PROCESS BY MOVING PAGES TO THE NEW SITE AT THECOSTUMERSMANIFESTO.COM, HELPING TO EDIT THE PAGES THAT ARE THERE ALREADY, AND ADDING YOUR OWN ORIGINAL INPUT.
Accessories Book & Gift StoreThe_Costumer's_Manifesto: _Costume_Accessories_Links_Classes Corsets & Underwear[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/history/100pages/corsetlinks.htm ]ComputersCostumes 4 Saleclasses_uafcostumeshop/pages/classes Costume e-Listscomputer_1pages/crj Dance Costumesclasses_uafcostumeshop/pages/classesDesigns & Designers Dolls [file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/store/100pages/amazondolls.htm ]"Ethnic" Dress[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/ethnic/1PAGES/ETHNOLNK.HTM ]Fashion Theory[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/history/100pages/fashion_theory.htm ]Free eGroupFree Stuffstore_100pages/giftstoreHalloween(Costume) History [file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/history/100pages/costhistpage.htm ']How-ToKinky Clothing[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/store/100pages/KINKY.HTM ]Major Sites[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/history/100pages/maincostumesites.htm ]Military Uniforms[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/history/100pages/maincostumesites.htm ]Movie Costumes[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/mwbh/100pages/mwbh.htm ]Museums New Pages'Occupational & Occasion- Specific[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/history/100pages/occupationaluniforms.htm ]Patterns[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/advice/1pages/pattern_links.htm ]Questions?[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/advice/1pages/questions.htm ]Religious Dressstore_100pages/sponsorinfoTheatre Historyclasses_uafcostumeshop/uafcostwebTravel for Costumers Unite!ADVICE_1pages/UNITEVintage ClothingADVICE_1pages/costdesignWeddings[file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tara/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/Manifesto/mwbh/100pages/mwbh.htm ]Weird Clothing
- Dating Photos
- Old Photo Guide
- BBC History, Your Family History - Old Photographs
- 19th Century Photography
- Dating Fashions in Antique Photo
- Family Chronicle - Dating old photographs
- Your Female Ancestors in Photographs
- Family Tree Magazine Features: Identifying Photos
- Costume Detective - How to Date an Old Photograph
- How to Date Old Family Photographs by the Costume Worn
- Photo Dating Calculator
- Dating Card Mounted Photographs
- Cycleback: Print and Photograph Examination and Research
Online Costume References
- The Costumer's Manifesto (This site)
- The Costume Gallery
- Katherine's Dress Site
- Historical Boys Clothing
- Distinguishing between First (1870s) and Second (1880s) Bustle period fashions.
- 19th Century Hairstyles
- Fashion Era
- Digital History of Fashion
- La Couturi�re Parisienne
Some examples of undated photos 1840-1950 to use for practice:
- Flickr Photos from mrwaterslide
- Flickr Photos from oook
- Flickr Photos from vintagephoto
- Flickr Photos tagged with costume
| align="center" valign="top" |Google |- | align="left" valign="top" |
Vintage Hats & Bonnets 1770-1970 : Identification & Values Collector's Guide to Vintage Fashions Identification and Values : Identification and Values A History of Men's Fashion Costume in Detail : 1730-1930
20,000 Years of Fashion : The History of Costume and Personal Adornment File:120greatfashiondesigners.jpeg 120 Great Fashion Designs, 19001950, CD-ROM and Book | align="left" valign="top" | Books for Costume Reference:
- File:Datingoldphotos1840 1929.jpeg Dating Old Photographs 1840-1929
- Wedding Fashions, 1860-1980
- Dressed for the Photographer : Ordinary Americans and Fashion, 1840-1900
- American Victorian Costume in Early Photographs
- Victorian and Edwardian Fashion : A Photographic Survey
- Children's Fashions, 1860-1912 : 1,065 Costume Designs from 'La Mode Illustree'
- Wedding Fashions 1862-1912 : 380 Costume Designs from 'LA Mode Illustree'
- Victorian Costume for Ladies
- The Well-Dressed Child: Children's Clothing, 1820-1940
- Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898
- Twentieth-Century Fashion : The Complete Sourcebook
- Fashion Accessories: The Complete 20th Century Sourcebook
- Victorian to Vamp: Women's Clothing 1900-1929
Everyday Fashions of the 20th Century CD-ROM and BookFile:Victfashinamerica.jpeg Victorian Fashion in America : 264 Vintage Photographs
| align="left" valign="top" | Notes:
Non-Fashion Steps to consider:
- What kind of photo is it? Format? Framing? This will narrow the range of dates to look for, depending on whether it is a daguerreotype, cabinet-card, or snapshot.
- Are there props, backgrounds, or other clues that can tell you about the occasion of the photo?
- If the photo has been faded, or damaged or has a faded caption, scanning and enhancing in Adobe Photoshop can reveal missing information.
- Womens clothing is easier to date than men or childrens dress.
- Try to date clothing first using similar dated photographs as a guide, rather than jumping straight to fashion plates.
- Fashion plates are good however for spotting matches to a weird detail of dress that doesnt show up in many photos.
- Not all wedding dresses were white. Not all white dresses were for weddings.
- From 1850-1914 Particular attention should be placed on the shape of womens sleeves. Sometimes sleeve shape alone can nail down the exact year the dress was made.
- Remember that fashions are usually worn for a few years after they are bought, but it is really unusual for a normal person to have a fashion that is even a year ahead of its time. If your granny swears up and down that a photo is of her own granny on her wedding day in 1895, and she is dressed in a gown with a 1903-style sleeve, she got the date wrong.
- Note the age of the sitter in relation to the clothes. Older peoples clothes and hairstyles tend to be a bit more outdated than younger peoples are. An 18-25 year old will not be caught dead wearing a fashion that is five years out of date, but his grandfather will. Many women wear the same hairstyle they adopted at 18 till they die.
- The Truth as Revealed by Yearbooks: Older fashions (especially in hair and makeup) tend to make young people in old photos seem older looking to their descendents. This is especially true of the 50 years that precede the viewers birth.
- Fashions tend to be less extreme, and move more slowly in more rural areas.
- Menswear changes since 1800 are all about tiny details. Necktie history in the 20th century, and coat collars and vests in the 19th century are often big clues.
- When looking for images that will match your own, try to find photo or costume books from the same country or general area. However, if you find a matching style of dress from London or Paris, and your photo is from a rural or frontier outpost, dont automatically assume the image is from a year much later than the time the fashion was new. Fashion information traveled quite fast by the time of the beginning of photography, and mass produced clothing was normal by the mid 19th century, so even in Alaska or Australia, Western fashions traveled to remote outposts quickly.
- Traditional dress in most places is not fixed in the same style over time, it just moves slowly. Examining the minor textile or needlework details in a photo in Traditional Ethnic or ceremonial dress will give you hints about the year the photo was taken, and bits that are Westernized will too.
| align="left" valign="top" |Google |- | align="left" valign="top" |
The Costumer's Manifesto is proudly hosted by William Baker.
This Page is part of The Costumer's Manifesto by [Maginnis], Ph.D. Copyright 1996-2010. You may print out any of these pages for non-profit educational use such as school papers, teacher handouts, or wall displays. You may link to any page in my site.
This page last edited on 05/02/2010