Victorian Western Wear
| width="634" height="45" | The History of Fashion and Dress Free Online Class for Self Directed Study authored by, Tara Maginnis, Ph.D.
American "Wild Western" clothing developed in the 19th Century as an amalgamation of European and Native American attire. In the period following the Civil War, dime novels, plays, and Wild West Shows on Western themes began to be popular in Europe and America. The first dramatic narrative motion picture, The Great Train Robbery (1903), was also the first "Western" film, a genre that grew out of these Western novels and plays, and which continues in popularity to this day. The uniquely colorful and interesting clothing worn by people on the frontier first captured the public imagination in the 1880's and has been an influence on fashion ever since.
Do searches for "Wild West Shows," "Cowboys," "Cowgirls," "Western Clothing," "Vaquero," etc to find your own links, or use the links below to get information on clothing in the West. Then do a short report on what you have found, concentrating on some sub topic like Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, modern reproduction clothing suppliers, prostitute clothing, Spanish influences on cowboy wear, movie images of western wear, etc. and post it on the Message Board by the weekend.
- Cowboy Emporium Home Page is a full line, vintage clothing and accouterments dealer specializing in outfitting Cowboy Action Shooters, Historical Reenactors and Old West/Victorian aficionados.
- CNL Clothiers: Tailors of the Old West featuring Cowboy Pommel Slickers to Ladies Clothing Patterns and Children's Clothes Patterns. Also featuring old western books and western themes ranging from Chuck wagon recipes to catalogs from the 1800's.
- Wild West Mercantile
- Texas Jacks Wild West Outfitters Fredericksburg Texas Western Clothing
- Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show
- Wild West Show
- Annie Oakley
- Cowgal's Home On The Web!
- Law Dogs N Ladies (Old West Reenactors)
- Mojave Muleskinners ~ Authentic Old West Reenactment Group - CA, AZ, NV, OK
Return to this week's lesson.
Places that sell reproduction Western Style Victorian dress:
- Wah Maker
- Wahmaker -- Authentic Old West Clothing Shopping: Clothing: Ethnic and Regional: North American: Western
- Men's Furnishing Goods
- River Junction Trade Co. - Authentic Victorian Clothing as worn by the cowboys of the Old West in the 1800 ' s
- Superstition Mountain Mercantile - Main Page
- Mustang & Rosewater Victorian Reproduction Dresses and Underpinnings
- Buckaroo Bobbins Patterns from the Historic Wild West
- Shooting Star Living History & Historical Costumes -
- Welcome to Walker '47 - The Complete Outfitter to the Cowboy Action Shooter
- Extreme Western Wear - Welcome to Extreme Western Wear
- Cowboy Emporium Home Page
- The Fort Western Outpost -
- Wakeda Trading Post Native American & Reenactor Supplies
Books on Western Wear from Amazon com
- Ultimate Sticker Book: Cowboy
- Cowboy Gear : A Photographic Portrayal of the Early Cowboys and Their Equipment
- $10 Horse, $40 Saddle : Cowboy Clothing, Arms, Tools and Horse Gear of the 1880's
Related Items :
The Costumer's Manifesto is proudly hosted by William Baker.
This Page is part of The Costumer's Manifesto by [Maginnis], Ph.D. Copyright 1996-2010. You may print out any of these pages for non-profit educational use such as school papers, teacher handouts, or wall displays. You may link to any page in my site.